Monday, May 4, 2015

Artist Interview: Phoenix of the Nile

While voting is underway for Illumination Gallery's Black & White contest, we've been able to catch up with yet another 360 degree artist -- Derris Nile. In our opinion, Derris has learned the "art of soul healing". His oeuvre is happy and sad, bittersweet, but above all: accepting. But let's hear it from the horses mouth. He says it better.



Where do you get your inspiration?

What inspires me to create things is the need of expression beyond words. Sometimes I have things to say that I cannot put into words, I turn to creativity when the world is being harsh. It's my soul time with myself. I never know what I'm going to do or shoot, whatever speaks to me I do. In doing that I think it's perfect.



Do you have any crazy hobbies you'll admit to?


My hobbies include painting, film, abstract art, studying cultures, outdoor adventures, going to the ocean for soul time, movies, singing, acting, writing. 

When did you realize you wanted to make art?  

I knew I wanted to create art when I was getting sober from crystal meth and going through rehab. My therapist suggest I do hobbies because hobbies are healing and I had the urge inside to paint. I watched a video from this Australian artist and made my own twist on things. I had no clue what I was doing.



What's your creative process?

The process starts with a flash of intuition of colors that mix that might look good together. Then I find everything else just falls into place once I know the colors I want to use. With photography it's just walking around and seeing something powerful that speaks to me.

Are there any artists you find most inspirational?

Artists that inspire me: Bradford Stewart - I really love his pour art, it has such freedom in being messy. Gerhard Richter - I like how he scrapes off the layers with a butcher's knife.



Do you do any pro bono work for your community? Are you involved in any charities?

I volunteer in Santa Monica helping feed the homeless at the shelter, I also volunteer at Being Alive to help those with HIV/AIDS. It's important to make some time each month for volunteering; it opens my eyes and gets me out of myself. I'm always changed by each experience.

You sound like you've got a pet. Do you?

I have a dog, Phoenix 

Let's call it the Illumination Secret: tell us one thing that nobody knows about you.

Most people don't know that I'm sore all the time from working out. I'm very goofy.


No comments:

Post a Comment