Sunday, May 24, 2015

Artist Interview: John Dukes sees art!

For Illumination Gallery's third-place winner of the Black & White contest, John Dukes, "the art of seeing" is his life. In fact, he literally took up photography while he was hiking in the Garden of the Gods one day and has not let the passion go ever since. An interview with the artist reveals a few facts about him, which are as interesting as his works.


What are your hobbies?


Other than shooting, I do enjoy a good game of basketball and working out. I feel it's important to be physically fit as well as spiritually fit.



When did you know you wanted to create art?


I was hiking through the Garden of The Gods in Colorado Springs one afternoon with my partner. We were so engulfed in shooting pictures and observing nature that we lost track of time and the trail. When you’re lost, you really pay attention to every detail with your eye. I took that to my camera. I believe it’s divine that I discovered my passion while lost in the Garden of the Gods.






What is your creative process?

I always find myself with headphones blasting music, whether it be hip hop or blues, out and about people watching. People and architecture are intriguing to me so when I see an inspiration, I just have to pull over. I don’t have any sort of “creative process”, it just comes when it decides to come.






Who are your favorite artists?


Benny Andrews, Andre Wagner, Tria Xiong, Thomas Evans. You probably don’t know them but they are artists who influence and shape my art. Andy Warhol, Picasso, Basquiat, if I had to name famous artists.



What charities or organizations are you part of and why?


None currently because my time does not permit me to be but I hope in the near future. I do believe it’s important to give back to the community and I look forward to being able to do so.



Do you like animals? Do you have any pets?


Hell yeah! I have this bad ass 8 month old, 120 lb English Mastiff who is as sweet as apple pie. I love him to death. My girl always jokes about how he must've done something wonderful in his past life, because he is loved and spoiled. He loves being picked up as if he only weighed 5 lbs. He’s always jumping on me asking to be picked up. He really doesn't know he weighs more than most people! He is incredible and I can go on and on about him but I won’t.





What is one interesting fact few people know about you?


I was a pretty good athlete, a b-baller in my day and could have done something with it but I was young and scared of the business so I let it go. But I say it was a blessing because I am here with another passion that I love more than I did basketball.




Want to find out more about John Dukes? Visit Illumination Gallery or John Dukes Photography and you too will see that "the art of seeing is his life"!

No comments:

Post a Comment