Saturday, April 25, 2015

Artist Interview: Michaell Magrutsche & Liminal Expression


Illumination Gallery recently caught up with multimedia artist Michaell Magrutsche to find out more about the man behind the art. Besides from being a lover of dogs (but not owning any), Michaell's self-dubbed style is The Liminal Expression. Michaell's oeuvre seeks to change the direction of gravity and pull the viewer towards a wall. It seduces one to discover it's content by luring the imagination to fill in the blanks.  Let's meet the liminal expressionist.


What is your creative process?

As soon as a physical or mental image triggers me and has enough artistic impact, I pencil sketch it on paper. I adjust and redraw it until I have a clean copy. I turn it into a digital file, adjust the design to my liking and fill in various color schemes. Once the image is completed to my taste, I paint it on canvas. To start a dialog with the viewer, I sometimes include parts that could be slivers of objects to engage the eye, similar to the old masters that added a caterpillar or bee into a Still Life. I balance artistic value with naïveté, intermingle unfamiliar objects and unusual colors to express mysticism to evoke more mind-soul play. Because I paint for myself, I am not losing my passion for creating and my paintings stay very unique. I hold clarity, dynamics and truth in high regard. I attempt to be concise in conveying my inspirations. For this reason, I try to leave my personal life behind or at the psychiatrist’s office. A clear mind allows me to transfer only my purest creativity on canvas.


Who is your favorite artist?

Ellsworth Kelly

What charities or organizations are you part of and why?

My main charity are artists. Since they are the most charitable supporting every charity event and most are living around the poverty line.

What is one interesting fact few people know about you?

I am art, I love it. I see art as part of a person and has incredible power when you know how and for what to look for.



Keep an eye out for Michaell's art on 
Illumination Gallery's VOTE page!

No comments:

Post a Comment